MIMOSA PARTNERS CHITUNGWIZA CENTRAL HOSPITAL ON KIDNEY TRANSPLANT UNIT
In 2016, Chitungwiza Central Hospital and Mimosa Mining Company partnered to build Zimbabwe’s first ever Kidney Transplant Unit.
Through the partnership, Mimosa Mining Company supported the hospital with Kidney Transplant Equipment, training of staff that included Surgeons, Nephrologists, Anesthetists, Theatre and Renal Nurses in South Africa and India.
Mimosa also funded structural renovations to increase the Kidney Transplant Unit’s capacity to five (5) patients at one go.
Presently, patients with Kidney problems in Zimbabwe have two primary choices to either choose the expensive and physically challenging dialysis route, or opt for a transplant outside the country. Sadly for those who opt out for a transplant, this requires significant financial resources in hard currency as well as a structured post care support when they are back home in Zimbabwe – something out of reach for many.
The Chitungwiza Hospital Transplant Unit will not just be the first of its kind in Zimbabwe but importantly will be critical in saving both human lives and financial resources at both individual and national levels.
BENEFITS OF THE CHITUNGWIZA KIDNEY TRANSPLANT UNIT
- Kidney patients can rely on live-related donor kidney transplants where relatives will be the main source of the kidneys;
- Operations will be done locally which will significantly reduce high costs associated with seeking medical treatment outside Zimbabwe;
- Kidney Transplants are significantly cheaper than having multiple sessions of dialysis;
- The Kidney Transplant Programme will provide accessible inexpensive and local post care support;
- Kidney Transplant is the treatment of choice for many people with end-stage Kidney disease.
THE INVESTMENT GAP
Despite the evident benefits of Zimbabwe having its own Transplant Unit, more still needs to be done to ensure that the investments made so far are operationalized. Critical equipment and drugs are required for the Chitungwiza Transplant Unit to be put to work. Mimosa Mining Company has once again partnered the hospital in spearheading this new phase that is set to ensure that Chitungwiza Hospital creates local capacity for Kidney Transpla